7 Helpful Tips for Writing Effective Content
Content is the blood of Internet marketing. It can get the attention of a prospect customer and lead him to buy into your product or service. On the other hand, it can also turn him off and cause him to run to your competitors. Therefore, all the content that is written for your company should be engaging, politically correct and honest. Here are 7 important factors to consider when writing content for SEO and internet marketing purposes:
1. Be creative on the title
The Internet is like an ocean where customers are the fish. You can only catch fish with attractive bait and that bait is your title. Make sure that your titles are creatively written, can catch the attention of your audience and are catchy enough to interest the reader. Include the focus keywords of your company in the title to optimise your content.
2. Use facts or questions in the Introduction
The first paragraph of your content is as important as the title. A good introduction includes interesting facts and the background about the topic. You can also ask questions to tickle the mind of the readers. The introduction should leave the reader craving for more information.
3. Be Mindful in Writing the Body
This part of the content is where the real battle starts. Here are some tips for writing the body of your content:
- Use Bullets Points and Catchy Subheadings
People who browse the Internet have a similar attention span to a goldfish which is approximately only 9 seconds (Source: BBC). Let us face the reality. Most people on the Internet are scan readers.
They usually look for the information that they want to know and click the first link that they see. The best way to keep them interested is by using bullet points and catchy subheadings. A reader-friendly format and a catchy subheading can make the audience read more of your content.
- Keep it Simple
Use active voice as much as possible because this writing format is way easier to understand. Also, try to use simple words to make things easier for your readers. Too much jargon or special words can confuse them and cause them to give up on your content.
4. Use Visual Illustration
Support the content with appropriate visual illustrations to make it look more interesting. This can also help the readers imagine what you are trying to say in the content. According to an article in social triggers, images can either improve or destroy your site. Therefore the image or video that you use should also be acceptable in the eyes of the public.
5. Watch Your Grammar
A poorly written article can turn the prospect customers off. Make sure that you use punctuation marks properly and that your grammar is perfect to avoid confusing the reasoning. Avoid writing how you speak to make your article sound more professional.
6. Write for People
The true purpose of creating content is to answer certain questions, solve problems and educate your audience. Therefore, aside from search engine rankings, you should also write content to meet the needs of the readers or consumers.
7. Make a Connection
The content should connect with readers. You should be able to smoothly carry a sales message without letting the reader feel that you are aiming for a sale. Make it worth reading and sharing. According to Copyblogger, in order to connect with your readers your content should have:
- Meaning – The meaning of your content should be relevant to your target audience. This will also help you get the trust of the readers. The first thing is to identify your target audience so that you may establish the topic that you need to focus on.
- Fascination– This includes all of the creativity, fun and inspiration contained within your content. If your headline is fascinating, it will more likely catch the attention of the reader. Likewise, if the entire content is substantial, it will convince the reader to finish reading the entire article and share the content on social media and other platforms. There are writers that include example scenarios, analogy and other figures of speech in order to build a connection with their audience and to make their content fascinating.